Impact of the pandemic
Impact of the pandemic
Published 27 September 2021 | Updated 14 March 2023
There are now a number of articles and surveys being published on the impact of the COVID pandemic on veterinary practice, animal ownership and animal welfare. Links, and a brief description of each of these papers, are provided below:
- Finstad, J.B., Rozanski, E.A. and Cooper, E.S. (2023) Association between the COVID-19 global pandemic and the prevalence of cats presenting with urethral obstruction at two university veterinary emergency rooms. Journal of Feline Medicine and Surgery, 25 (2). https://doi.org/10.1177/1098612X221149377
- Muñoz, K.A. et al. (2022) The impact of COVID-19 on access to canine integrative medical care in Michigan, USA, and Ontario and British Columbia, Canada. Veterinary Anaesthesia and Analgesia. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.vaa.2022.08.004
- Barklam, E.B. and Felisberti, F.M. (2022) Pet Ownership and wellbeing during the COVID-19 pandemic: The importance of resilience and attachment to pets. Anthrozoös. https://doi.org/10.1080/08927936.2022.2101248
- Martinez-Caja, A.M. et al. (2022) Pet ownership, feelings of loneliness, and mood in people affected by the first COVID-19 lockdown. Journal of Veterinary Behavior, 57, pp. 52-63. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jveb.2022.09.008
- Hickey, M.C., Napier, E and Ong, H.M. (2022) Effect of COVID-19 lockdown on small animal trauma patterns in Australia: a multicentre study. Frontiers in Veterinary Science, 9, no. 908679. https://doi.org/10.3389/fvets.2022.908679
- Owczarczak-Garstecka, S.C. et al (2022) Impacts of COVID-19 on owner’s veterinary healthcare seeking behaviour for dogs with chronic conditions: an exploratory mixed-methods study with a convenience sample. Frontiers in Veterinary Science, 9, no. 902219 https://doi.org/10.3389/fvets.2022.902219
- Caney, S.M.A. et al. (2022) Veterinary surgeons’, veterinary nurses’ and owners’ experiences of feline telemedicine consultations during the 2020 COVID‐19 pandemic. Veterinary Record, p. e1738. https://doi.org/10.1002/vetr.1738
- Schor, M. and Protopopova, A. (2021) Effect of COVID-19 on pet food bank servicing: quantifying numbers of clients serviced in the Vancouver Downtown Eastside, British Columbia, Canada. Frontiers in Veterinary Science, 8, p. 1074. https://doi.org/10.3389/fvets.2021.730390
- Siettou, C. (2021) Societal interest in puppies and the Covid-19 pandemic: A Google trends analysis. Preventive Veterinary Medicine, 196, p. 105496. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.prevetmed.2021.105496
Leave a ReplyWant to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!