Cannabidiol: consumer products
Published 23 April 2023 | Updated 16 May 2023
Consumer products should not make claims relating to efficacy and are not formally authorised for sale or assessed for safety. However, some monitoring has been carried out to check whether the CBD levels meet the declared value; the levels of contaminants, such as heavy metals and pesticides, and whether the level of THC+ (the total sum of illicit cannabinoids in the product) exceeds the 50 micrograms (µg) per unit of consumption threshold outlined in current guidance.
- Cannabidiol (CBD): Consumer advice on cannabidiol (CBD) extracts [Food Standards Agency] [online]. Available from: https://www.food.gov.uk/safety-hygiene/cannabidiol-cbd [Accessed 6 April 2023]
- Consumer research report on cannabidiol (CBD) extracts [Food Standards Agency] [online]. Available from: https://www.food.gov.uk/research/novel-and-non-traditional-foods-additives-and-processes/consumer-research-report-on-cannabidiol-cbd-extracts [Accessed 6 April 2023]
- Analysis of CBD products [Food Standards Agency] [online]. Available from: https://www.food.gov.uk/research/research-projects/analysis-of-cbd-products [Accessed 6 April 2023]
- Henion, J., Evans, S. and Wakshlag, J.J. (2023) Key quality control aspects about cannabinoid-rich hemp products that a veterinarian needs to know: a practitioner’s guide. Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association. https://doi.org/10.2460/javma.22.10.0470
- Xu, X. and Murphy, L.A. (2023) Simple and fast quantification of cannabinoids in animal feeds by liquid chromatography–tandem mass spectrometry. Journal of Diagnostic Investigation. https://doi.org/10.1177/10406387231169290
- Chesney, E. et al. (2020) Lack of evidence for the effectiveness or safety of over-the-counter cannabidiol products. Therapeutic Advances in Psychopharmacology, 10. https://doi.org/10.1177/2045125320954992
Advisory Council on the Misure of Drugs (2021) Consumer Cannabidiol (CBD) products. Available from: https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/1041851/For_publication_-_CBD_products_report_17_December.pdf [Accessed 23 April 2023]
Online full-text available to Library members
A range of library membership packages is available and MRCVS vets and RVNs can join the library for a heavily subsidised, annual fee.
Leave a ReplyWant to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!