‘In the Spotlight’ features bring together collections of published papers on topics of interest and importance to the veterinary professions.
If you would like to suggest a paper for inclusion in one of our published Spotlight features, or a topic for a future Spotlight feature, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Free online resources
- VetReact – evidence-based resources for veterinary practitioners on common equine emergency conditions, by an equine research group at the University of Nottingham [last accessed 4 Oct 2018]
- Equine emergencies – with Debra Archer, from the Webinar Vet (recorded 21 Nov 2016)
- Overview of equine emergency medicine – from MSD Veterinary Manual [last accessed 17/10/2017]
- How to Manage Critical Field Emergencies – presentations covering a range of topics. Annual Convention of the American Association of Equine Practitioners [AAEP] , 1-5 December 2012, Anaheim, CA, USA. 5 December 2012. Free online access from IVIS, free registration
Below is a selection of references on equine emergencies from a search on CAB Abstracts database
- Archer, D.C. (2017) Equine colic putting the puzzle together. Veterinary Record, 181(11), pp. 289-290
- Bates, N. (2017) Acute poisoning in horses: part 2. Livestock, 22(3), pp. 164-169. [This article can be accessed via RCVS Knowledge Library Membership, click here]
- Wong, D.M. et al. (2017) Use of renal replacement therapy in a neonatal foal with postresuscitation acute renal failure. Journal of Veterinary Internal Medicine, 31(2), pp. 593-597. [This article is available on Open Access]
- Hallowell, G. D. (2016) Cardiopulmonary resuscitation: a waste of time? Equine Veterinary Education, 28(5), pp. 245-247. [This article can be accessed via RCVS Knowledge Library Membership, click here]
- Slovis, N. M. (2016) Emergency neonatal triage for sepsis. Proceedings of the 62nd Annual Convention of the American Association of Equine Practitioners, Orlando, Florida, USA, 3-7 December 2016, pp. 21-28
- Pihl, T. H. et al. (2016) Acute-phase proteins as diagnostic markers in horses with colic. Journal of Veterinary Emergency and Critical Care, 26(5), pp. 664-674. [This article can be accessed via RCVS Knowledge Library Membership, click here]
- Dixon, J. (2016) Imaging advice for equine orthopaedic emergencies. Veterinary Times, 46(43), pp. 20, 22. [This article is available online, click here, last accessed 17/10/2017]
- Carr, E.A. (2014) Field triage of the neonatal foal. Veterinary Clinics of North America, Equine Practice (Special Issue: Emergency and critical care.), 30(2), pp. 283-300. [This article can be accessed via RCVS Knowledge Library Membership, click here]
- Bentz, B.G. (2013) A review of pain management in equine practice. CAB Review. [This article can be accessed via RCVS Knowledge Library Membership, click here]
- Jokisalo, J.M. and Corley, K.T.T. (2014) CPR in the neonatal foal: has RECOVER changed our approach? (Special issue: Emergency and critical care). Veterinary Clinics of North America Equine Practice, 30(2), pp. 301-316. [This article can be accessed via RCVS Knowledge Library Membership, click here]
- Haggett, E. (2013) Support of the collapsed neonatal foal. In Practice, 35(5), pp. 243-250
More references are available to download:
Equine emergency services
UK rescue organisations and training
- British Animal Rescue and Trauma Care Association
- Animal Rescue Practitioners Forum – established by the Chief Fire Officers Association (CFOA) to pioneer animal rescue response in fires. The Memorandum of Understanding between the CFOA and the RSPCA
UK flood advice
- From BVA and BEVA for owners and their horses
- From the RSPCA, Public Health England and the Government Environment and Countryside
Online full-text available to Library members
A range of library membership packages is available and MRCVS vets and RVNs can join the library for a heavily subsidised, annual fee.
Image copyright attribute:
castenoid / 123RF Stock Photo
Leave a ReplyWant to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!