Quality of Life assessment tools – Animal Welfare Assessment Grid
3.a. Animal Welfare Assessment Grid
Published 31 August 2021 | Updated 11 November 2022
The Animal Welfare Assessment Grid (AWAG) was developed for monitoring the welfare and cumulative lifetime experience of primates in research institutions. It has been adapted for other species and a web-based software application has been designed for capturing, storing and visualising animal welfare assessment data.
- Animal Welfare Assessment Grid (AWAG) [N3CRs] [online] Available from: https://nc3rs.org.uk/crackit/animal-welfare-assessment-grid-awag [Accessed 19 August 2021]
- Welcome to the AWAG system GitHub Wiki! [Public Health England] [online] Available from: https://github.com/PublicHealthEngland/animal-welfare-assessment-grid/wiki [Accessed 19 August 2021]
- Honess, P. and Wolfensohn, S. (2010) The extended welfare assessment grid: a matrix for the assessment of welfare and cumulative suffering in experimental animals. Alternatives to Laboratory Animals, 38 (3), pp. 205-212. https://doi.org/10.1177/026119291003800304
- Malkani, R., Paramasivam, S. and Wolfensohn, S. (2022) Preliminary validation of a novel tool to assess dog welfare: The Animal Welfare Assessment Grid. Frontiers in Veterinary Science, 9, no. 940017. https://doi.org/10.3389/fvets.2022.940017
- Wolfensohn, S. et al (2015) Refinement of welfare through development of a quantitative system for assessment of lifetime experience. Animal Welfare, 24 (2), pp. 139-149. https://doi.org/10.7120/096272188.8.131.52
- Ma, S. et al (2022) Animal welfare assessment in 16 zoos in South Korea using the Modified Animal Welfare Assessment Grid. Frontiers in Veterinary Science, 9, 860741. https://doi.org/10.3389/fvets.2022.860741
- Justice, W.S.M. et al (2017) Adaptation of the animal welfare assessment grid (AWAG) for monitoring animal welfare in zoological collections. Veterinary Record, 181 (6), p. 143. https://doi.org/10.1136/vr.104309
- Ryan, M., Waters, R. and Wolfensohn, S. (2021) Assessment of the welfare of experimental cattle and pigs using the Animal Welfare Assessment Grid. Animals, 11 (4), p. 999. https://doi.org/10.3390/ani11040999
Leave a ReplyWant to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!