4. Quality improvement
Published 20 April 2022 | Updated 23 January 23023
Quality improvement is about adopting systematic, measurable approaches to support and continuously advance efficient, high quality, practice. It is recognised that the biggest challenge has nothing to do with professional motivation or clinical expertise, but with how we can best structure our working environments to continually improve patient care and specifically in considering if there is a better, safer way for us to deliver care, so we can reduce avoidable errors and save lives.
RCVS Knowledge has a wide range of resources relating to Quality Improvement in veterinary practice.
- Ling, T. et al. (2021) Clinical governance and continuous Quality Improvement in the veterinary profession: A mixed-method study. Veterinary Evidence, 6 (2). https://doi.org/18849/VE.V6I2.383
- Rooke, F. et al. (2021) Developing consensus for definitions of key veterinary‐specific quality improvement (QI) terms using an eDelphi‐study method. Veterinary Record, p.e1174. https://doi.org/10.1002/vetr.1174
- Rooke, F. et al. (2021) Quality Improvement: origins, purpose and the future for veterinary practice. Veterinary Evidence, 6 (2). https://doi.org/18849/VE.V6I2.358
- Oxtoby, C. (2018) Shifting from a blame culture to a learning culture. Companion Animal, 23 (11), pp. 623-627. https://doi.org/10.12968/coan.2018.23.11.623
- Ballantyne, H. (2018) Using checklists in veterinary nursing: what can human healthcare teach us? Veterinary Nursing Journal, 33 (10), pp. 291-294. https://doi.org/10.1080/17415349.2018.1496049
- Hocking, L., Picken, N. and Ling, T. (2020) Assessing the landscape and future actions for quality improvement in the veterinary sector – the insights, expectations and aspirations of the profession. London: RCVS Knowledge. Available from: https://knowledge.rcvs.org.uk/document-library/assessing-the-landscape-and-future-actions-for-quality/ [accessed 14 April 2022]
- RCVS Knowledge’s Strategy & Action Plan Supporting Quality Improvement 2020 – 2022 [RCVS Knowledge][online]. Available from: https://knowledge.rcvs.org.uk/document-library/rcvs-knowledges-strategy-and-action-plan-supporting-quality/ [accessed 14 April 2022]
- Hocking, L. et al. (2020) Continuous quality improvement: a road map for the veterinary professions. London: RCVS Knowledge. Available from: https://knowledge.rcvs.org.uk/document-library/continuous-quality-improvement-a-roadmap-for-the-veterinary/ [accessed 14 April 2022]
- Daly, M.L. (2022) The case for quality improvement in veterinary medicine. Journal of Veterinary Emergency and Critical Care. https://doi.org/10.1111/vec.13264
Leave a ReplyWant to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!