Benefits and risks of neutering pets – what is the evidence – Age at neutering
Age at neutering
Published 26 November 2020. Updated 10 March 2021
In recent years there has been a move towards routine neutering at a younger age. However, this move has generated concerns and a significant number of publications to discuss the optimum age for neutering. Links to a selection of these are provided below:
- Kustritz, M.V.R. (2007) Determining the optimal age for gonadectomy of dogs and cats. Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association, 231 (11), pp. 1665-1675. https://doi.org/10.2460/javma.231.11.1665
- Kustritz, M.V.R. (2014) Pros, cons, and techniques of pediatric neutering. Veterinary Clinic of North America: Small Animal Practice, 44 (2), pp. 221-233. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cvsm.2013.10.002
- Howe, L.M. (2015) Current perspectives on the optimal age to spay/castrate dogs and cats. Veterinary Medicine: Research and Reports, 6, p. 171. https://doi.org/10.2147/VMRR.S53264
- Griffin, B et al. (2016) The Association of Shelter Veterinarians’ 2016 veterinary medical care guidelines for spay-neuter programs. Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association, 249 (2), pp. 165-188. https://doi.org/10.2460/javma.249.2.165
Paediatric neutering of cats
In cats the primary driver for early age neutering is to prevent unwanted pregnancy. However early age neutering has also raised concerns about the safety of the procedure in very young animals, the most appropriate techniques to use and the nursing care that will be required.
- Spain, C.V., Scarlett, J.M. and Houpt, K.A. (2004) Long-term risks and benefits of early-age gonadectomy in cats. Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association, 224 (3), pp. 372-379 https://doi.org/10.2460/javma.2004.224.372
- Joyce, A. and Yates, D. (2011) Help stop teenage pregnancy! Early-age neutering in cats. Journal of Feline Medicine and Surgery, 13 (1), pp. 3-10. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jfms.2010.11.005
- Maniaki, E. et al. (2021) Associations between early neutering, obesity, outdoor access, trauma and feline degenerative joint disease, Journal of Feline Medicine and Surgery https://doi.org/10.1177/1098612X21991456
- Porters, N. et al (2014) Prepubertal gonadectomy in cats: different surgical techniques and comparison with gonadectomy at traditional age. Veterinary Record, 175 (9), p. 223. http://dx.doi.org/10.1136/vr.102337
- Porters, N. (2015) Prepubertal gonadectomy in cats: different injectable anaesthetic combinations and comparison with gonadectomy at traditional age. Journal of Feline Medicine and Surgery, 17 (6), pp. 458-467. https://doi.org/10.1177/1098612X14546919
- Clancy, N. (2016) Early neutering in cats with the use of the quad anaesthetic protocol. Veterinary Nursing Journal, 31 (3), pp. 76-79. https://doi.org/10.1080/17415349.2015.1129920
- Polson, S., Taylor, P.M. and Yates, D. (2014) Effects of age and reproductive status on postoperative pain after routine ovariohysterectomy in cats. Journal of Feline Medicine and Surgery, 16 (2), pp. 170-176. https://doi.org/10.1177/1098612X13503651
- Gower, L. (2017) Pre-pubertal feline neutering: the role of the veterinary nurse in owner education. Veterinary Nursing Journal, 32 (7), pp. 194-200 https://doi.org/10.1080/17415349.2017.1321331.
An inFOCUS summary of this article is available
- Early neutering principles [Cats Protection][online] Available from: http://www.kind.cats.org.uk/docs/CPAnaestheticProtocol.pdf [Accessed 11 November 2020]
Factors affecting decision making for age of neutering in dogs
In dogs, decisions about the optimum time for neutering are complicated by the range of different sizes and breeds and the variation in disease risk for some conditions which may be affected by neuter status. The following papers give some general guidance regarding the optimum age for neutering but for details of the risks associated with specific conditions please see the sections on the effect of neutering on disease risk.
- Yates, D. and Leedham, R. (2019) Prepubertal neutering of dogs—some risks and benefits. Companion Animal, 24 (1), pp. 38-42. https://doi.org/10.12968/coan.2019.24.1.38
- Hart, B.L. et al. (2020) Assisting decision-making on age of neutering for mixed breed dogs of five weight categories: associated joint disorders and cancers. Frontiers in Veterinary Science, 7, p. 472. https://doi.org/10.3389/fvets.2020.00472
- Hart, B.L. et al. (2020) Assisting decision-making on age of neutering for 35 breeds of dogs: associated joint disorders, cancers, and urinary incontinence. Frontiers in Veterinary Science, 7, p. 388. https://doi.org/10.3389/fvets.2020.00388
Leave a ReplyWant to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!